Sunday, September 30, 2012

Week of September 24 - September 30: #3

One concept that I found interesting from this week's reading in Boss' "Think" was the role of emotion in critical thinking. Boss states, "an empathetic person is more flexible and open to others' perspectives and is motivated to use critical analysis, important skills in formulating a satisfactory logical argument regarding a plan of action". I believe that this is extremely true, which reminded me greatly of what my store manager has been telling us associates. We must encourage our customers to open reward and credit cards for our store because our manager wants our store to succeed. If I come across a customer and he/she seem interested in the items that our store has, I will mention the benefits of opening a card. If he/she is hesistant, I might mention a couple more benefits. However, if he/she has a bitter expression and sounds angry, I won't continue on. I understand the perspective of the customer and I won't force him/her to do anything, no matter what my manager is asking me to do. Reading others' emotions by their facial expressions can help us critically think through our decisions and make us better understanders and communicators.

No comments:

Post a Comment