Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Week of September 10 - September 16: #1

Most college students paying for school are committed to getting good grades. I am a college student paying for school. Therefore, I am probably committed to getting good grades.

I have thought about this argument a lot, even before I knew it was considered an inductive argument. Because college is a choice (an expensive choice, might I add), I always assume that everyone is in college because they want to receive good grades to eventually get that dream job. To get those grades means that one needs to work hard. However, I see a lot of younger college students forgetting to do assignments, taking tests without studying, and skipping classes. Although there are people in college that just don't care, there are also many more people willing to work hard to succeed.

This is an inductive argument because it is not necessarily a true statement; there is a possibility of error. In the THINK text, Boss states that an inductive argument claims that the "conclusion probably follows from the premises". This means that the statement ("I am probably committed to getting good grades") may or may not be true. It is possible that not all college students are committed to getting good grades.

5 comments:

  1. Hello A
    You have a good example of inductive argument. The goal or studying in college is to earn a bachelor's degree, or some students have set their goal to graduate with certain grade point average. However, not all students have put their full effort and concentration in school work. Even some students are paying for the tuition without getting any financial aid, they do not care about their classes. Just like what you mentioned, they do not study before exam, etc. If one is studying in college does not necessarily mean that they will end up with good grades. Then, students in college are likely to graduate with good grades. Anyway, you showed a related inductive argument to all of us!

    Thank you,
    Adrian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your inductive argument about college students paying for school being committed to getting good grades. I like this argument because I can actually relate to it and it is a good example of an inductive argument. I can relate to it because I also feel like college is a choice and to get a good job you need to put in effort and work for it. I also like how you refer to the THINK text and remind us that the conclusion “probably” follows premises, so that it doesn’t always have to be necessarily true and that it is a possibility that not all college students are committed to getting good grades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello -A-,
    I really like your explanation of an inductive argument and like example you gave us. It is true that a premise "probably" follows the conclusion. So looking at you example it is true that you probably want to get good grades. I really like the way you broke it down to us. Now as for your observation of the younger college student it is true that they seem to slack of as oppose to older student. I will have to admit I was a slacker a bit because I sometimes slept, skipped, and forgot homework sometime. However, after awhile I realized that I am only harming myself and that I am wasting a lot of my parents money. I have completely changed my slacking off habits and have replaced them with other because I pay tuition and should care about my grades. Great post and have a great weekend.

    Heisenberg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi A,

    I think you bring up a really great point, and that it is an important thing to think about. Though it may not be true for everyone, it is something you should keep in mind when you feel that things are getting tough. I think your inductive argument is a great way to keep yourself motivated in school and to put yourself on track to graduating quickly. Your explanation was very clear and to the point which made it very easy to understand what it was you wanted to say. Personally, I think I will be using this as motivation to keep up with my school work and to hopefully excel in my classes.

    -Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi A,

    You inductive argument is a good example that everyone can understand and relate to. This argument applies to me as well. I also pay for most of college on my own. Since I pay with financial aid and my own money, I try not to get bad grades on my classes, because retaking the class will take more time and money. I also don't want to disappoint myself with bad grades because I'm trying to do well in school. The younger college students that are slacking off makes me sad because lots of money is being used on them, but they don't appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete