Sunday, September 16, 2012

Week of September 10 - September 16: #3

One concept that I have decided to discuss is "the need for effective communication in organizations" that O'Hair and Wiemann write about in The Essential Guide to Group Communication. Communication is the most important thing while working in an organization, or in this case, a group. O'Hair and Wiemann state that "the only way that organizations can succeed, or even exist for that matter, is through communication".  By communicating with group members, everyone will know how and when to assign goals and tasks. You can only know through communication what group members have done and not done, what everyone needs to do, and exactly who will do it. A good example of this is our current group project. If I don't communicate the days that I am free to work on my project, we wouldn't be able to pick a date to meet. My group members wouldn't even know if I was alive! Although I am sometimes bad with communicating, I plan to work on it immediately so that my group can count on me.

1 comment:

  1. I really like that you pointed this topic out because it is so relevant to our current situation. I am finding that it is very difficult to coordinate multiple lives into one day, time, and place. Everyone is so busy and has better things to do then to try and meet to talk about a project. But in reality, it is the most important task we have in this class for this period. I think this idea that you pointed out about communication is something that I really needed for encouragement. We all have to just communicate adequately in order to have a successful group, and in the end, a successful grade. Thanks for sharing some insight.

    ReplyDelete