Saturday, November 3, 2012

Week of October 29 - November 4: #2

I believe that Margo G. Wootan's argument regarding government regulation of children's food advertising was more effective than Robert Liodice, simply because Wootan used pathos to connect the problem with her readers. Wootan made it known that she did not like how non-nutritive foods were advertised because it was affecting the health of children in negative ways. She wrote that children are attracted to enticing food advertisements, thus creating a “need” to have certain foods that may not be healthy. As a Nutrition major, I do understand where she is coming from. I may be biased, but I also have experienced being attracted to food advertisements when I was younger. I’m sure many of you wanted to go to McDonalds for the happy meal toy too! On the other hand, Liodice did not seem to care that children were affected. In fact, he states that food companies have been making food BETTER for them! He shows no signs of pathos and even says that “childhood and adult obesity stands out as one of the most “curable” of them all.”

No comments:

Post a Comment