Saturday, November 17, 2012

Week of November 12 - November 18: #2

I recently started working at a retail store early in September and I had to be trained to use the cash register (along with seven other employees) a week after I started. I remember that there was one female employee that seemed to be somewhat rude to me. She had to share a cash register with another employee next to me and was taking up all the space (there is very little room at the counter). She appeared to be extremely standoffish and had a very sour look on her face. However, as I worked with her more, I know now that I just interpreted things wrong because I used her physical attributes to cloud my judgment (empiricism). She could have been having a really bad day, and I used that to define her. I realize now that she is a lot of fun to work with and is someone that I can relate to. Once I found out actual facts instead of just random guesses about her, I now know what type of person she is. Even though she left our store now, I now consider her my favorite coworker.

1 comment:

  1. I agree there are many times you might misinterpret someone from just one instance or from the way they looked. First impressions do have a great affect on people, but we have to remember that first impressions should not define who the person is because like you mentioned, they might have been having a rough day. You never know what someone's life is like just by looking at them. It may show you some parts of their lives, but you should not make up your mind right away about them. First impressions are also very strong, which can overpower better judgement. For all you know, that person could be a good friend to you.

    ReplyDelete