Friday, October 19, 2012

Week of October 15 - October 21: #3

One thing I thought was interesting while reading was "Group Pressure and Conformity" on page 120 of Boss' Think text. Boss states that "group pressure can influence individual members to take positions that they would never support by themselves". It is very easy to make decisions based on what other people do. For example, if you go out with a group of friends and they all buy a nice refreshing drink, you'd want to buy one too! In a more serious event, group pressure also happens during bullying. If a group of people are making fun of one person, chances are that other people will make fun of that person too. It was also interesting to read that there was an experiment conducted in which someone told six people in a group to give the wrong answers, and they all listened! This just shows how group pressure is incredibly influential in life.

2 comments:

  1. Hey A,

    Great concept to choose. This whole concept sounds like peer pressure basically. I have also done a good amount of following the group's pressure and have done some stupid things that I regret. I have been assisted in bullying- like you mentioned. I have followed what my group of friends said and they were just flat out wrong in their doings. But as life went on, people gain wisdom and learn how to say no and leave the situation. I know that as time went on from when I was 13 to now and look back, I see how much I have grown. I think that living life and learning from experiences is thought to be wisdom and growing up. Great post. ........////////Greek guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that you chose a great concept to discuss! Everyone wants to fit in or belong some how, and when we were younger it was hard trying to ignore that. I was bullied in middle school and I can see how group pressure and influence an individual to do something they normally would not do alone. It makes it easier to believe that something is okay when more people are doing it. I think that we should be taught about these kinds of influences early on in order to help us lean away from bad influences, such as bullying and cheating.

    ReplyDelete