Friday, October 5, 2012

Week of October 1 - October 7: #2

The two types of rhetorical devices that I always use are sarcasm and hyperbole. Sarcasm, as defined by Boss in the Think text, “involves the use of ridicule, insults, taunting, and/or caustic irony”. I am very sarcastic person and I mainly do it to make people laugh, but I have recently realized that it’s very mean so I’m trying to stop doing it. When sarcasm is used towards me from any of my friends, it hurts. A type of sarcasm I use is exaggerating a “nooooo way” if someone asks me something obvious, like “should I put my clothes in the dryer after I wash it?” The other rhetorical device I use, hyperbole, is defined as a “rhetoric that uses exaggeration or overstatement to distort the facts”. I am always overdramatizing things; for example, I always say “I am going to die at work today” if I am not looking forward to going. Another thing I say is “she’s/he’s killing me” if someone is annoying me or being uncooperative.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    You have good examples of both rhetoric devices. I use sarcasm for obvious questions too. Sometimes I say, "You don't say," if someone said something like, "This is really hot," when it just finished cooking. I never use sarcasm in a mean way though, only humorous. I try not to use sarcasm too much though, because i think people will start to get annoyed by me. I use similar exaggerations for work too. Sometimes I tell people that my hand gets so cold from making milkshakes, that my hand will fall off or I'll tell people at the end of the day that my feet are killing me.
    rawrgles

    ReplyDelete